As colder seasons near, you should make sure your heating system is working properly. Heating repair and maintenance is important to ensuring that your system is functioning as efficiently as it should, as well as ensure that there are no underlying problems that could put you and your family in the way of danger. Things like carbon monoxide poisoning or even a fire could put lives at risk. Therefore, HVAC repair should be performed on a regular basis to ensure that your heating system is working and is safe.
Have you ever had to turn your heater on after it has remained unused for a couple seasons? Sometimes it smells like something is burning, sometimes it does not warm up your house, and sometimes it may not work at all. Other times, it could be working fine but over time you start to get a headache and feel nauseous. Many people do not even correlate their heating system to feeling ill but carbon monoxide poisoning is a real threat and one that you should be aware. It is important to have a plan in place, should you start to feel ill and recognize the symptoms as possible carbon monoxide poisoning. A burning smell could also be a concern as that generally means the coils are not clean and it could be a potential fire hazard.
Heating Maintenance Saves Lives
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly less dense than air. It is produced from the partial oxidation of carbon-containing compounds and forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce carbon dioxide, or CO2. Therefore, it consists of one carbon atom and one oxygen atom. For example, operating an internal combustion engine or a stove in an enclosed space is likely to emit carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common type of fatal air poisoning in the United States as well as many other countries. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fatigue, and feelings of weakness. Neurological signs include confusion, disorientation, visual disturbance, and fainting. Exposure to excessive carbon monoxide may cause significant damage to the heart and central nervous system.
The dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the biggest reasons that heating and air conditioning service are important and that any heating repair should be performed by a qualified professional as soon as possible. You can install a carbon monoxide detector to help you determine when the levels are unsafe but air conditioning service is the best way to ensure you will never have a problem. You may think it is a minor problem when your HVAC system does not work properly. By having it looked at immediately, you could be saving someone’s life, including your own.
Heating Repair Prevents House Fires
Inappropriate wiring or a short in your system is a real danger to starting a house fire. It is important that you turn off your heating system when you leave or put it on a timer so it will not run the entire time you are away from home. It is also important to clean or change your air filters regularly and keep the heating coils free of dust and debris. A poorly functioning system can be overstressed when it is clogged or not breathing properly and can cause major issues such as fires when it is not properly maintained.
Heating Maintenance Saves Energy
Caring for your HVAC unit will go a long way to ensure the efficient and proper functioning of your unit as well as save you money. Heating and cooling combined, are the largest energy user in the average home. A big advantage to HVAC repair and regular air conditioning service is how much energy savings you will get. Maintaining your system means it will run more efficiently and save you money on your electric or gas bill. Regular maintenance will help save you money, as will being conscientious about your heating or cooling usage. Energy consumption increases by about 5–10% for every additional degree increase on your thermostat for wintertime heating and summertime cooling.
To have your heating system inspected, maintained, repaired, or replaced – call McCullough today at (512) 280 0011